Mint cordial is a very simple yet refreshing drink with that cooling aroma and flavour of mint. Mint has long been considered a calming herb that helps with digestion. This cordial can also be used in cocktails, like Mint Julep or spooned over a scoop of vanilla ice cream and it also goes exceptionally well with strawberries.
Once you’ve tasted it, we’re sure you will find many more uses for this syrup. This is such a beautiful drink that we think it won’t last long in your fridge, so best to just double up the recipe so that you won’t be too disappointed when it’s all gone.
Servings: 500ml Time: 15 minutes and overnight Difficulty: Easy
- 30 sprigs mint
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 ¼ cups water
- Wash the mint leaves, removing any stems
- In a medium saucepan, combine the water, sugar, and mint leaves
- Bring to the boil over high heat, then immediately remove
- Let the mixture cool and refrigerate overnight to allow the flavour to infuse
- Next day: sterilize a heat proof glass bottle
- Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve or cloth into a clean saucepan
- Bring to a boil over high heat and cook for 3 minutes
- Pour the syrup into the sterilized bottle
- Refrigerate for up to 1 month
- To serve, mix 1 part cordial to five parts fresh or sparkling water ,with lots of ice and a sprig of mint for decoration