Limoncello is a sharp and zesty lemon flavoured liqueur that hits you with a sour citrus punch before mellowing out to a fruity sweetness. Served in shot glasses for quick gulps or cordial glasses for sipping, limoncello should enjoy a permanent place on your drinks menu.
It’s best served chilled, so keep one bottle in the fridge and another few stashed away in the freezer so that you don’t run out.
Oh Hello Limoncello
- Peeled zest of 5 ripe lemons
- 750 ml good quality vodka
- 450 g sugar
- 450 ml water
- Large screw top or snap top bottles
- Put the zest into a large jar and top up with vodka
- Seal the jar and store in a dark cupboard for 20 days for the deepest colour and flavour – or if you can’t wait and don’t have that much patience then place in a sunny place for 8 days
- After the Limoncello has steeped, strain the vodka and set aside
- Prepare a sugar syrup by bringing the water to a simmer in a saucepan, then stirring in the sugar to dissolve
- Allow sugar syrup to cool
- Mix the sugar syrup with the infused vodka, stirring gently
- Taste and add additional sugar syrup if desired
- Bottle the limoncello and chill in the fridge for up to a month or the freezer for up to a year
- Only use ripe lemons – make sure yours don’t have any green on the skin
- Be careful not to include any of the white pith underneath the lemon rind when peeling off the zest
This set of Italian heavy base shot glasses make for a sleek and stylish addition to your in-home bar and add a touch of class to any special occasion.
These flip top glass bottles with built-in stoppers let you store cordials, beverages, oils and anything else you'd like to keep airtight and leak-free. The clamp closure preserves the contents to keep them as fresh as the day they were bottled, making it the perfect storage solution for wines, cordials and condiments.