Limoncello is a sharp and zesty lemon flavoured liqueur that hits you with a sour citrus punch before mellowing out to a fruity sweetness. Served in shot glasses for quick gulps or cordial glasses for sipping, limoncello should enjoy a permanent place on your drinks menu. It’s best served chilled, so keep one bottle in the fridge and another few stashed away in the freezer so that you don’t run out.
When life gives you lemons, find someone who has vodka and start a beautiful party!
Oh Hello Limoncello
Servings: 1½ litres Time: 8-20 days Difficulty: Easy
- Peeled zest of 5 ripe lemons
- 750ml good quality vodka
- 450g sugar
- 450ml water
- Large screw top or snap top bottles
- Put the zest into a large jar and top up with vodka
- Seal the jar and store in a dark cupboard for 20 days for the deepest colour and flavour – or if you can’t wait and don’t have that much patience then place in a sunny place for 8 days
- Strain the vodka and set aside
- Prepare a sugar syrup by bringing the water to a simmer in a saucepan, then stirring in the sugar to dissolve
- Allow sugar syrup to cool
- Mix the sugar syrup with the infused vodka, stirring gently
- Taste and add additional sugar syrup if desired
- Bottle the limoncello and chill in the fridge for up to a month or the freezer for up to a year
To keep the limoncello as cold as possible, leave your shot glasses in the freezer until you’re ready to serve.