Butternut soup is creamy, thick, smooth, silky, nutty, healthy, satisfying and easy to make. When those cooler evenings start, butternut soup with its sunny orange colour is the perfect way to warm up your mood and the cold.
Need a starter that’ll get spoons dipping as soon as the bowls arrive? This is it. Looking for a main that’s light and filling at the same time? Ladle a few extra spoonfuls and serve with soft fresh bread to soak it up with.
- 800 g diced butternut squash approx 1 medium size butternut
- 1 clove garlic thinly sliced
- 5 ml mild curry powder
- 1 chicken stock cube crumbled
- 250 ml buttermilk
- In a large saucepan place the butternut, curry powder, garlic, stock cube and 400ml water.
- Cover with a lid and bring to the boil
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, until the butternut is tender
- Allow the soup to cool slightly, then puree, either in a blender or with a stick blender in the saucepan, until smooth
- Stir in the buttermilk and heat slowly until just hot
- Serve with fresh buttered bread
- Sprinkle or spoon over a topping
Artisan-made premium grade 5-ply nonstick saucepan for professional-grade cooking and heat distribution. With a satin finish and stainless steel exterior, this saucepan will last a lifetime - and has a warranty from Scanpan to match.
Ideal for browning, braising, searing and deglazing. Works flawlessly on all cooking surfaces, including induction.