Blooming onions are incredible, edible works of art. Magical creations brought about by some clever slicing of layers that have always existed in the humble onion, before being battered and fried to form their full onion blossom shape.
It’s hard to believe that these are real because they just look so good. They’re beautiful, delightfully crispy, crunchy deep-fried onions, cut to resemble petals of a blooming flower.
Far better than plain old onion rings, these crispy delights will be the star of any party. The perfect side dish served with steak.
Spicy Blooming Onions
For the onions and batter
- 4 large red or white onions
- canola oil for deep frying
- 250 g almond flour
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
For the yoghurt dip
- 1 cup plain greek yoghurt
- 4 tbsp fresh coriander chopped
- 2 tbsp mint chopped
- 1 spring onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons chives finely chopped
- Mix all the ingredients into the yoghurt and season to taste
To cut the onions
- Cut off the head of the onions and peel without cutting off the root portion
- Turn upside down so that the root is facing upwards
- Make incisions at 12 o’clock, 3 o’clock, 6 o’clock and 9 o’clock without cutting into or through the root
- Make a further 3 incisions between each of the original cuts
- Turn over the onion and gently prise the petals apart
To Make the batter
- Combine all the ingredients except the buttermilk
- Slowly pour in the buttermilk while whisking
- Add just enough to form a thick pancake-like batter
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan
- Dip the onion into the batter, spooning some into the petals, making sure each petal is covered
- Using a slotted spoon, place the onion in the oil and deep fry for 5 minutes or until the onion is cooked and the batter is crisp
- Repeat with the remaining onions
- Serve with the yoghurt dip
Now you can enjoy the famous blooming onion in the comfort of your own home and backyard! The onion blossom set includes an onion corer, slicing guide, a grilling rack and breader bowl.
Grill your blooming onion to perfection and enjoy with your favourite dipping sauce.