Potatoes are such a versatile vegetable, delicious no matter which way they’re cooked. From baked – for a quick, satisfying meal when you don’t have much time – to mashed potato, that tummy-hugging side dish, to rosti or gnocchi, to duchess potatoes and still many more ways to explore.
Did you know that a human can survive on a diet that consists only of potatoes and milk? Potato has more Vitamin C than an orange, more potassium than a banana and more fibre than an apple.
So it’s no surprise that someone once said that a meal is not a meal without potatoes. They must’ve been thinking about this potato bake, also known as potato au grautin and gratin dauphinois.
It’s so good that you may as well make a second one while you’re at it. No matter what meal you pair it with, this is a favourite that everyone will be going back to for more, including you.
Cheesy Potato Bake
- 4 large potatoes thinly sliced
- 300 g diced bacon
- 300 g grated sharp or mature cheddar cheese
- 300 g thickened cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C
- Layer the potato, then bacon, then the cream, then the grated cheese
- Continue alternating layers, finishing with a layer of cream and cheese
- If you like it spicy, you could sprinkle with a light dusting of cayenne pepper between the layers
- Cover in foil and bake for 20 minutes
- Remove foil and bake for a further 25-30 minutes, until golden brown on top and the potato is soft
This dish's heat-resistant glaze and perfect thickness mean you don't need to worry about scratches and can use it safely in the oven, microwave, freezer and dishwasher.