Potatoes are such a versatile vegetable, delicious no matter which way they’re cooked. From baked – for a quick, satisfying meal when you don’t have much time – to mashed potato, that tummy-hugging side dish, to rosti or gnocchi to duchess potatoes and still many more ways to explore.
Someone once said that a meal is not a meal without potatoes. They must’ve been thinking about this potato bake. It’s so good that you may as well make a second one while you’re at it. No matter what meal you pair it with, this is a favourite that everyone will be going back to for more, including you.
Potato And Cheese Bake
Servings: 4 Time: 1 hour Difficulty: Easy
- 4 large potatoes, thinly sliced
- 300g diced bacon
- 300g grated sharp or mature cheddar cheese
- 300g thickened cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Layer the potato, then bacon, then the cream, then the grated cheese
- Continue alternating layers, finishing with a layer of cream and cheese
- If you like it spicy, you could sprinkle with a light dusting of cayenne pepper between the layers
- Cover in foil and bake for 20 minutes
- Remove foil and bake for a further 25-30 minutes, until golden brown on top and the potato is soft
Did you know?
A human can survive on a diet that consists only of potatoes and milk.
Milk must be present because potato does not have large amounts of vitamin A and D. Potato has more Vitamin C than an orange, more potassium than a banana and more fibre than an apple. One medium-sized potato contains 110 calories (one cup of rice has 225 and one cup of pasta has 115).