White chocolate is one of those intensely sweet treats you either adore or pull your nose up at. Many chocoholics believe it’s vastly inferior to its darker cousin and not really related to real chocolate at all.
This is partly true because, technically speaking, white chocolate doesn’t contain chocolate solids. Instead, it’s crafted together with a blend of sugar, cocoa butter, milk products, vanilla and a fatty substance called lecithin.
However, if it looks like chocolate, melts like chocolate and tastes like chocolate, then who’s to say it doesn’t qualify as the genuine article that none of us can ever get enough of?
Ask any white chocolate devotee and they’ll describe the luscious creaminess of white chocolate as something you’ll never experience with dairy or dark. In fact, there are many who won’t go anywhere near chocolate unless it’s pure, angelic and white!
In the name of all things creamy and dreamy, we’ve put together three recipes in a white chocolate ensemble that places this food of the gods on a pedestal, where it belongs. At least in our books.
Rocky Road is an irresistible type of no-bake candy slice made up of chocolate, nuts, marshmallows and other sweet ingredients, which tend to vary by country. For me, Turkish Delight is a non-negotiable in any proper Rocky Road recipe.
Whoever invented this was an inspired mad genius, as it doesn’t really matter what ingredients you add to it, it’s always guaranteed to please. Cut it into squares and watch eyes light up as everyone reaches for an oversized slice.
This recipe calls for white chocolate, of course, which is a little more sugary (sweet tooths, rejoice!) and a great alternative for those who aren’t really fans of traditional chocolate.
If you can bear to part with some, pack a few slices in cellophane bags and gift them to your friends. Or leave them on a neighbour’s doorstep to spread some cheer. With one of these in your hands, you’ll find your spirits lifted, your day brighter and the world a much sweeter place to live in!
White Chocolate Rocky Road
- ½ cup roasted almonds
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup speckled chocolate eggs
- ½ cup mini marshmallows
- 3 small Turkish Delight chocolate bars roughly chopped
- ½ cup flaked toasted coconut
- ½ cup raspberry jujubes
- 540 g white chocolate coarsely chopped
- 100 g assorted pearls and sprinkles
- Grease a 20cm square cake pan
- Line the base and sides with baking paper
- Combine the almonds, cranberries, speckled eggs, marshmallows, Turkish Delight, coconut, and jujubes in a large bowl
- Place chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (make sure the bowl does not touch the water)
- Stir for 5 minutes or until the chocolate melts and is completely smooth
- Pour the chocolate over the almond mixture and fold to combine
- Spoon into the prepared pan, decorate with shiny pearls and/or sprinkles
- Place in the fridge for 1 hour to set
- Cut into pieces and serve quickly, before you eat them all
White Chocolate Mousse
- 180 g white chocolate
- 300 ml thickened cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 free range eggs separated
- berries of choice for serving
- Place 150g chocolate and ¼ cup of cream into a small saucepan over a low heat, stirring for 5 minutes or until just melted
- Remove the pan from the heat and cool for 15 minutes
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat vanilla and remaining cream in a large bowl until soft peaks form
- In a separate clean, dry bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form
- Stir egg yolks into chocolate mixture until combined
- Fold a little chocolate mixture into cream mixture until combined
- Add remaining chocolate mixture to cream mixture and fold until combined
- Fold in egg whites until combined
- Divide mixture among 4 (1 cup capacity) glasses or bowls
- Refrigerate overnight to set
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel remaining chocolate into curls to decorate or add Ferrero Raffaelo coconut balls as an extra surprise
- Serve mousse topped with berries of choice
White Chocolate Cream
- 100 g premium white chocolate such as Lindt, chopped
- 2 tbsp whipping cream chilled
- ½ cup whipping cream chilled
- Combine chopped white chocolate and 2 tablespoons of whipping cream in a small metal bowl
- Set over a small saucepan of simmering water and stir until chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth (be gentle and don’t overheat the chocolate)
- Remove bowl and cool white chocolate mixture for 10 minutes
- Beat remaining ½ cup chilled whipping cream in a medium bowl until soft peaks form
- Whisk the white chocolate mixture into the whipped cream
- Cover and refrigerate before demolishing in an appropriate fashion
A premium 5-layer bonded saucepan with a copper core and 4 more layers of stainless steel and aluminium, making it ultra-responsive when cooking and ultra-durable for a lifetime of performance.
Its shallow sides and wide mouth make it the perfect choice for sauces, risottos and pan-fried food.
Compatible with all cooking surfaces - gas, electric and induction. Oven safe and dishwasher friendly.