Chicken pot pies are one of those go-to meals that everyone’s always in the mood for. They’re a fun food adventure, with a rich top and meaty filling, always tummy warming and satisfying.
Best of all, they’re much easier to make than you might think, and versatile enough for you to adapt the ingredients to whatever you have in your fridge.
Definitely something worth repeating on your weekly menu.
Chicken Pot Pie
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 750 g chicken breast fillets diced
- 20 g butter
- 1 leek trimmed and thinly sliced
- 200 g mushrooms quartered or 100g chopped bacon, or both
- 80 ml white wine
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 250 ml chicken stock
- 160 ml light thickened cream
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 1 free-range egg lightly beaten
- 1 sheet ready-rolled frozen pastry thawed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 180 °C
- Heat two teaspoons of oil in a large frying over medium heat
- Add diced bacon and brown
- Add chicken and cook, stirring, for 3-5 mins or until lightly browned, then transfer this mixture to a plate
- Heat one teaspoon of oil and butter in the pan
- Add the leeks and mushrooms, then cook, stirring, for 3-5 mins or until mushroom is golden
- Add wine (or leftover champagne) and cook for 2 mins or until reduced by half
- Add flour and cook for 1-2 mins
- Gradually add combined stock and cream while stirring
- Stir in the mustard and peas and bring to the boil
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2-3 mins or until thickened slightly
- Return chicken to the pan and season with salt and pepper
- Spoon the chicken mixture into four ramekins or mini cocotte casserole dishes
- Cut four 11.5cm diameter circles from the pastry, slightly larger than the diameter of the ramekins – or turn one of the empty ramekins upside down and cut out a circle just slightly larger than the outside of the ramekin
- Brush the edges of the ramekins with egg
- Top with pastry and press down edges to seal
- Place on a baking tray and bake for 20 mins or until pastry is golden and filling is cooked through
A set of mini round stoneware cocottes with an enamel finish, nice size handles and separate lids. Perfect for serving single portions of pot pies, casseroles, cobblers, macaroni cheese and other hot all-in-one dishes.
There are endless ways to make use of these porcelain ramekin dishes!
They're not only perfect for main courses, soufflés, crème brûlées, pot pies, molten lava cakes, chocolate fondants, cobblers and bread and butter puddings, but they're also a great serving dish for dipping sauces, sour cream, olives, assorted nuts or ice cream.