Red lentil dahl is a nutritious, sustaining dish that is lovely and warming and easily made in a half an hour.
Because lentils require no soaking at all, they’re the perfect choice for a weeknight pot-to-plate quick fix. When the world has dealt you a little too much and you just need to get off your feet at the end of a long day, pop the stove on and settle in with a relaxing bowl of stress relief.
As one of the superfoods, red lentils are incredibly good for you. They boost your heart health, reduce cholesterol, lower blood pressure and build good gut bacteria, all combining to give your immune system a healthy shot in the arm.
Red lentils are loaded with astounding amounts of essential vitamins and minerals, making each mouthful a nourishing dose of goodness that your body will be happy to grab and hang on to.
This red lentil dahl recipe is packed with anti-inflammatory turmeric and ginger, bringing together spices and creamy coconut to create a delicate and delightful pick-me-up from the first bite to the last.
Red Lentil Dahl
- 2 cups dry red lentils
- 3 brown or red onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger finely chopped
- 1 tbsp curry powder of your choice
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 1 can coconut milk
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh coriander reserve 1 tbsp for garnish
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- sour cream or yoghurt with coriander for garnish
- Fry the onions, in 1 tbsp of coconut oil, over a moderate heat until softened and translucent, approximately 6 to 7 minutes
- Add the Curry powder and turmeric and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about a further 1 minute
- Stir in the remaining 2 tbsp of coconut oil and cook, stirring occasionally
- Add the garlic and ginger stirring, for 1 minute
- Add the chicken stock, coconut milk, red lentils and 2 tbsp fresh coriander to the saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Cook over a moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender, about 20-25 minutes
- It may be necessary to add a little water as you go as it will thicken a bit
- When ready, season with salt and pepper and garnish with remaining fresh coriander and a swirl of sour cream or yoghurt
- Serve alongside some toasted rotis for dipping or if you wish some fragrant jasmine rice
There's a good reason that this is the cookware range everyone's talking about.
Beautiful designed and consciously crafted, Caraway pieces are works of art for your kitchen that don't just look good, but do good.
They're naturally non-stick and are free of PTFE, PFOA, PFAS, lead, cadmium and other toxic materials that can leach into your food. Every item is non-toxic, oven safe and compatible with electric, gas an induction stoves.
Caraway's 12-piece cookware set contains a 10.5" frying pan, 3 qt. sauce pan with lid, 6.5 qt. dutch oven with lid, 4.5 qt. sauté pan with lid, 4 modular magnetic pan racks and a canvas lid holder with hooks.