Tomato chilli jam is a sweet and spicy addictive condiment that matches and complements almost everything edible. It’s one of my absolute favourites and lives permanently at the front of the top shelf of my fridge for easy access anytime.
With its hot, syrupy and savoury flavour, and thick and sticky chutney-like texture, tomato chilli jam goes beautifully with so many delicious things, instantly lifting the flavour profile to something really special.
Slather it on some sourdough bread, topped with a cheese of your choice. Or dip sausage rolls into it, re-dipping after every bite. Spread it on your hamburger instead of ketchup or add a dollop to your BLT and it’ll make the world of difference.
Whichever way you choose to use tomato chilli jam – and we’re sure you will – once you’ve found a perfect partner for it, you won’t have it any other way again.
Tomato Chilli Jam
- 500 g cherry tomatoes
- 3 small red chillies finely chopped
- 500 g sugar
- 250 ml spring onions finely chopped
- 2 lemons halved remove pips
- Wash tomatoes and cut them in half.
- In a heavy-bottom pot, add the tomatoes, the juice from the lemons, chillies, sugar and spring onions
- Stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved
- Increase the heat and bring the mixture to the boil
- Cook for 20 to 30 minutes, shaking the pot from time to time – do not stir or sugar will crystallise
- To test your jam, drop a teaspoonful onto a cold plate, if it holds together before spreading then it is ready
- Let it cool completely before spooning into sterilised jars
Artisan-made premium grade 5-ply nonstick saucepan for professional-grade cooking and heat distribution. With a satin finish and stainless steel exterior, this saucepan will last a lifetime - and has a warranty from Scanpan to match.
Ideal for browning, braising, searing and deglazing. Works flawlessly on all cooking surfaces, including induction.