Hot chocolate is a stomach-hugging, heart-warming comfort drink that gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling, especially on those chilly winter days when the wind is howling outside and you can’t seem to get yourself warmed up.
This recipe takes this childhood favorite up a notch, combining rich, creamy and luscious chocolate with a spicy kick of chilli that’ll definitely raise your temperature and put a bit of extra buzz in your day for good measure.
Spicy Mexican Hot Chocolate
A Mayan thick and luscious hot drink to warm your heart and put a buzz in your day .
Servings: 2 Time: 15 mins Difficulty: Easy
- 400ml milk
- 45ml cocoa powder
- 15ml cinnamon
- 10ml chilli powder or cayenne pepper
- 1 whole red chilli
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 50g dark chocolate roughly chopped
- 20ml sugar or to your taste
- 100ml cream
- In a saucepan, slowly bring the milk to a boil
- Whisk in the cocoa powder, cinnamon and chilli powder
- Simmer for 5 minutes with the cinnamon stick and chilli
- Once it starts to thicken, stir in the dark chocolate
- To serve, pour into mugs, sweeten with some sugar, pour some cream on top and add a light dusting of cinnamon